Tuesday, October 31, 2017

The Gal's 2017 Halloween Frivolities Day 10: SOS's Character Has Spoken


Byron is our main antagonist in Those Who Follow.  He has the power to enter another world and there he enjoys torturing and killing his victims inside of a rickety old church he had built for him by a group of missionaries before ending them.  He's egotistical because he's gotten away with murder for decades and he feels invincible because of the strange powers he holds.  He mentions in the church in the middle of nowhere that it is his realm and he is both god and the devil.  He's a bloodthirsty psycho who enjoys brutalizing women, eating the flesh of his victims, and making them literally vanish from the face of the earth.


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hi, Byron.  Thanks for sitting down with me today.  Now, some of my readers have yet to read your story.  What should they know about you?

Byron:
I hold the supreme power of life and death in my hands.  I can take you to MY world and there you'll be helpless.  Even when you scream, no one will hear you.  There is no police there.  Only me, and I'm god and the devil rolled into one.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you believe in?

Byron:
I learned at a young age that it don't matter what people think in this world, what sins they turn their noses up to, because when given the power of being the ruler of your own world, you'll actually upon the most devious thoughts in your mind.  Like me, I take what I want, do what the hell pleases me, and there ain't a damn thing anyone can do about it.  I'm beyond ordinary humans.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What haunts you?

Byron:
There are a few things that haunt me, like the time I let that special girl slip through the doorway.  I came back carrying only her arm.  I would have liked to keep her as my wife there in the church and to have taught her to obey my authority.  Those damn shadows that creep around after dark are a nuisance, too.  I don't stick around long enough to let them get the best of me, though.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any phobias?

Byron:
I'm beyond phobias.  I am a nightmare myself.  I fear very little in life.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's the worst thing that has ever happened to you?

Byron:
The worst thing that ever happened to me was when one of my brides got away from me.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Are you lying to yourself about anything?

Byron:
I don't need to lie to myself about anything because I've embraced what I really am.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What was your childhood like?

Byron:
My childhood was typical, as most people's were, but I always felt different, even around my twin brother.  When I discovered the power within me, it made all that melt away, and I no longer cared.  I could walk between worlds and I did.  Those adventures taught me everything about who I am, and what I am.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Were your actions the result of freedom of choice or destiny?

Byron:
My actions are a result of my destiny, what I was born to do.  Otherwise I might just be an ordinary man suppressing my desires and urges for fear of what god might think.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
If you could go back in time and change anything, would you?

Byron:
If I could go back in time and change anything, it would be the night eighty-three broke loose.  Other than that, I feel like I've lived more lives than most men and had more freedom than anyone.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What does your name mean to you?

Byron:
Byron has become the name of god in my land, in the middle of nowhere.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What scars, birthmarks, tattoos, or other identifying marks do you have?  What stories lie behind them?

Byron:
I'm an older fellow who has yellowed teeth.  I'm called the preacher for keeping my victims in an old church in a desert in another world, and by the end of this story, I'm much more.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What was unique about the setting of your books and how did it enhance or take away from your story?

Byron:
The settings bounce between the human world and an alternate plain in which only folks with my power can get to.  The deserts in Arizona are dangerous, but those in the middle of nowhere, my stomping grounds, are deadly, and I make certain those who step foot there don't leave in one piece.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How do you see yourself?

Byron:
I see myself as a superior being with the power of life and death in my two hands.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How does your enemy see you?

Byron:
My enemies see me as a reckless sadist, I'm sure of it.  They don't approve of the way I pass time in my own territory and are afraid that ordinary people might discover who we really are.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How does the author see you?

Byron:
The author probably sees me as a nightmare.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Why do you think the author chose to write about your story?  Do you think they did a good job?

Byron:
They wrote my story because it was something they have to purge from their minds before I drove them crazy with my bloodlust.  They did a decent job of portraying me, though I'd like to claim them both as my number seventeen.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think about the ending?

Byron:
The ending was brutal.  They ran me through a gauntlet of abuse... but I'm still here!

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you think the author portrayed you accurately?  Would you change anything about the story told? Did they miss anything?

Byron:
They wrote me well enough, but I would have loved it if they had related a few more of my earlier works to their audience.  My younger days were non-stop blood fests.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Have you read any of your authors' other work?  Any good?

Byron:
They gave me a copy of their novel, Mayan Blue.  It was a good book.  I especially liked the way the lord of Xibalba tortured those young men and women.  He's my kind of guy.



About the book:
A WAYFARING STRANGER

Tormented by visions of women imprisoned in the middle of a barren wasteland and an old man with a yellow-toothed grin, Casey has been wandering this country's highways following a song that she believes will lead her to her other self.

A CHURCH IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE

Held captive in a desecrated shrine, Celia would have given up long ago if not for a song that keeps her hope burning.  Someday she will escape from the shadowy creatures that claw at the windows of the church, the monstrous dog with a taste of human flesh, and the old preacher with inhuman powers.

A BOND THAT CROSSES WORLDS

Two women divided by fate but connected by blood.  Will the song help them lead the way to each other and defeat the forces aligned against them?  Or will they suffer the dreadful fate of...

THOSE WHO FOLLOW

No comments: