Friday, November 3, 2017

The Gal's 2017 Halloween Frivolities Day 13: Power's Character Has Spoken


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Welcome, K-POX.  Thanks for sitting down with me today.  Some of my readers have yet to read your story.  What should they know about you?

K-POX:
My name is K-POX and I am a Data Recovery officer for the Ministry of Information.  My job is processing data retrieved from physical data storage units recovered from the ruined cities, and uploading it to the mainframe for analysis, processing, and hopefully release, if it can pass verification.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you believe in?

K-POX:
Erm.  Well, I believe in my job, I suppose.  The mission.  I'm only a small cog in a big machine, but still - what I do is important.  What we do, anyway.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What haunts you?

K-POX:
I'm lucky to be away from the front line, the people who actually go into the cities and recover the physical drives.  But I've seen images of those ruins.  I have nightmares about The War, what it might have been like.  We know so little.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any phobias?

K-POX:
No.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's the worst thing that has ever happened to you?

K-POX:
I've been pretty lucky, so far.  So far, there's been no one sufficiently compatible in the pairing database for a cohabitation partner to emerge, but I remain hopeful.  I'm still young.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Are you lying to yourself about anything?

K-POX:
What's 'lying'?

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What was your childhood like?

K-POK:
Pretty normal.  Both my parents have passed, but they cared for me well enough while they were alive.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Were your actions the result of freedom of choice or of destiny?

K-POK:
Destiny, I suppose - I was selected for my role based on aptitude, like everyone else.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
If you could go back in time and change anything, would you?

K-POX:
Well, if I could somehow change or foreshorten The Information War, that'd be the obvious pick.  Not sure how I could do that, of course, but I think most people would pick that.  Of course, I'd have to know how far back to go, first... :/

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What does your name mean to you?

K-POX:
Well, I'm proud of it - a 4 letter designation is only given to Ministry employees.  It's a great honour.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What scars, birthmarks, tattoos, or other identifying marks do you have?  What stories lie behind them?

K-POX:
None - again, I've been lucky - no scars, so far.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How do you see yourself?

K-POX:
I'm a hard working, diligent employee - though I do get bored sometimes, and a little... wistful, I suppose.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How does your enemy see you?

K-POX:
I don't have any enemies.  I don't think.  Well, I hope not.  Why do you ask?

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Oh, just curious.  Why do you think the author chose to write about your story?  Do you think they did a good job?

K-POK:
I wrote my story.  And yes, I'm happy with how I told it, mostly.  I think, had I known my final audience, I'd have sworn less, maybe.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think about the ending?

K-POK:
I think it's about the best ending I could have hoped for, given the circumstances.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you think the author portrayed you accurately?  Would you change anything about the story told? Did they miss anything?

K-POK:
No - again, it's my story and I told it, so I can't really complain about accuracy, can I?  I was true to myself, that's all I can say.


About the author:
Kit Power lives in Milton Keynes and writes horror and dark crime fiction, with occasional forays into dystopian science fiction, though he insists you shouldn't read too much into that.  He has a novel, GodBomb!, and a novella collection, Breaking Point - both available on Kindle and in paperback, and published by The Sinister Horror Company.  His debut short fiction and essay collection, A Warning About Your Future Enslavement That You Will Dismiss As a Collection of Short Stories and Essays by Kit Power is out soon.
            In his increasingly inaccurately labelled spare time, he podcasts - on his own show, Watching RoboCop with Kit Power, and as one quarter of the legendary Wrong With Authority team.



About the books:
Kit Power did not write this book.
            Sure, the stories and essays are his - 21 pieces culled from the very best of his fiction and nonfiction work over the last four years, including previously unpublished work - but as to the rest...
Kit Power has no idea who (or what) K-POX is.  Or The Ministry of Information, come to that.  He doesn't know what The Information War is/was, or when it is supposed to have happened.  He has no idea at all why a book that appears to have been sent from the future is so insistent that his stories hold the key to recovering the history of that time.
            Kit suspects it may all just be an elaborate prank of some kind.

            Still, it probably wouldn't do any hard to read it.  Just in case...

No comments: