Saturday, November 18, 2017

The Gal's 2017 Halloween Frivolities Day 28: Among the Stacks with Jon M. Jefferson


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hey, Jon.  Welcome back to The Gal.  It's been awhile since we sat down together.  What's been going on since we last spoke?

Jon M. Jefferson:
Where do I begin? When was the last time we spoke? Yesterday? The day before that? I had breakfast for starters. I think there has been a theme this week - waffles. I dare say that waffles are a good thing. We picked up a new waffle maker that makes the really big ones, two waffles in one go. That's my kind of waffle maker.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Now that I have all of these questions about that waffle maker... Who are you outside of writing?

Jon M. Jefferson:
This one has been a secret, so you probably shouldn't broadcast it too far and wide. I recently became a ninja in Cthulhu's army. It's true. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How do you feel about friends and close relatives reading your work?

Jon M. Jefferson:
Wait! Hold on a second here. You mean they really do that? I always figured I would end up going the route of being completely ignored by family while the rest of the world becomes my husk slaves. 

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is being a writer a gift or a curse?

Jon M. Jefferson:
The reality here is being me… is the gift… I give to the world. I am a ball of freakin sunshine and you must bask in the glow of my beauty. No, really, it's ok to send me money and small children for sacrifice to the old ones.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How has your environment and upbringing colored your writing?

Jon M. Jefferson:
There are still some studies underway to further understand this. Being raised in an isolated location away from the hustle and bustle of modern life isn't necessarily the preferred science now. But it was said when I first broke free of the cocoon, my gaze sent several of the nurses present into a fit. What kind of fit it was, they wouldn't tell me. But it is my understanding that several outbreaks can be attributed to that day.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's the strangest thing you have ever had to research for your books?

Jon M. Jefferson:
I once spent several weeks through a number of packages of Oreos trying to see the best way to separate the cream from the cookie. I still have nightmares. I still have nightmares and honestly, this isn't something we discuss in mixed company.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which do you find the hardest to write: the beginning, the middle, or the end?

Jon M. Jefferson:
Beginnings have these moments of wonky perplexity that frighten small children. But then the middles, well those are the spaces of the cream center and I already said we don't talk about those. But the endings… 

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you outline?  Do you start with a character or plot?  Do you just sit down and start writing?  What works best for you?

Jon M. Jefferson:
There was this one time, at the Pyramid at Giza where the plot to over throw the pharaoh went askew. And I knew that it all boiled down to the plan. It was in the scarab entrails that I knew it would never do to plan the little things ever again. From that moment on I have never looked back. I never looked ahead neither. It would seem that looking in any direction shows us the sights we should never see. Probably better to sit in the dark corner and pontificate our toenails.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you do when characters don't follow the outline/plan?

Jon M. Jefferson:
There was a plan?

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you do to motivate yourself to sit down and write?

Jon M. Jefferson:
Usually I promise myself some Oreos. But after the experiments they give me hives. So now I have taken to placing them in the places I shouldn't be. In turn I avoid anything that makes me gibber like a mongrel without a bone.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Are you an avid reader?

Jon M. Jefferson:
Do stone tablets count? In the past I have studied some of the more forbidden texts on the scrolls of human skin. I find it supple and a better material for etching the pains of man. You can really get a feel for the deaths that went into the chronicles.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What kind of books do you absolutely love to read?

Jon M. Jefferson:
Oh, I think I might have already answered this one. So instead I shall hum the hymn of Exstatical Bland Boujourlais. It is a beautiful rendition if you are ever able to explore its bounty.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How do you feel about movies based on books?

Jon M. Jefferson:
First you may have to explain this concept to me. What do you mean by "Movie?" And how is this different from the world I live in? I mean seriously, you use some very loose words. I am not sure if I should be offended by this comment.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Have you ever killed a main character?

Jon M. Jefferson:
It all depends on your definition of the words Kill, Main, and Character. I mean, if you are asking if I have killed people, well, I don't know if I should answer that. My lawyer has also advised me that I shouldn't mention the overturned earth in the backyard. It is the moments like this that contemplation of Oreos is a necessary part of life.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you enjoy making your characters suffer?

Jon M. Jefferson:
I can only think of one thing that will add any meaning at all to this particular question. "I have such sites to show you." Take from that what you will. 

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's the weirdest character concept that you've ever come up with?

Jon M. Jefferson:
I once knew someone who was deeply invested in pregnant water polo. But I couldn't really grasp exactly who they referred to or how it related to the concept of character as it pertains to people or things. I mean, whose baby was the horse carrying, and why were they trying to smack balls around in a lake on its back.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's the best piece of feedback you've ever received?  What's the worst?

Jon M. Jefferson:
I've had a few people buy me dinner in the past. Well, not so much dinner as give me a fiver on the street when they told me I should get something to eat. It was weird. Their heroics shall forever be marked in the book of Heiron and they shall be ushered into his warm embrace for their actions.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do your fans mean to you?

Jon M. Jefferson:
They are best when they are slightly charred on the outside and still juicy on the inside.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
If you could steal one character from another author and make them yours, who would it be and why?

Jon M. Jefferson:
There was this guy, an alien. It comes from a book (the title and author escape me). The character was Zoot Marlow, he chose his own name. They had created a bizarre form of yogurt in the story that they called yoyogurt. Good times.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
If you could write the next book in a series, which one would it be, and what would you make the book about?

Jon M. Jefferson:
Actually, if we could back up to the last question… See, I don't want to play in that universe or steal from it. Actually, I just want to remember the name of the book. You ever have that experience? You can remember all sorts of bits and pieces but never enough to form a complete thought. Yeah, it's like that. If you ever happen to run across ol' Zoot, let me know. That guy owes me money.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
If you could write a collaboration with another author, who would it be and what would you write about?

Jon M. Jefferson:
I am still awaiting the day that the Old Ones rise up and great Cthulhu wakes from his dreaming. On that day I will be there to pen their wrath upon the world. Those who doubt their majesty shall be the first sacrifices in their honor.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Jon M. Jefferson:
I imagine more of the same. Though, I may call you names and smote you with a fiery brand of righteousness. I guess it depends on my mood.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where can we find you?  (STaLKeR links)

Jon M. Jefferson:


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any closing words for your fans or anything you'd like to say that we didn't get to cover in this interview or the last?

Jon M. Jefferson:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!


About the author:
Jon M. Jefferson writes Speculative fiction with forays into Noir and Bizarro.  His stories have appeared in the 2013 Indies Unlimited Flash Fiction Anthology, and the foil and Phazer Divide and Conquer Anthology.  His work can also be found on Amazon and Smashwords.
            A longtime fan of Science Fiction and Fantasy stories in all their forms.  He has spent most of his life looking for magic in the everyday moments of life.  He hails from the tundra of Southwest Michigan.  The monsters in his life include his wife, two daughters, and a granddaughter.

About the books:
In an age of steam, the world is divided by the power of aether and the shapers who can pull power from crystals.  Little magics define the course of lives for those who can use them and those who can not.
            Tisdan Thinkledor, a thief from lowdown has never thought of the politics or games played by those in power.  His days have been planned from the next purse he can cut to the next mark to be tagged.  A life led from station to station along the path of the trains that connect the lives within the city.
            Sometimes, it is the little things that change the world around you.  A matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, can change the future.


Ever crack a tooth on a piece of candy?  You know what I mean, that candy that you really love, but it caused you pain.  Sometimes that bittersweet moment still hits just the right spot.
            The monster stories of our youth have a bit of that same bittersweet candy.  Magic and mayhem frightens and delights giving us moments that we seek to repeat.
            The stories in Hate Candy celebrate those bittersweet moments.  Embark on a journey into the darkness and maybe find some new sweets.  But always remember, Hate Candy bites back.


Ever had a bad day?  Maybe woke up late for work, or got stuck in traffic?
            Sam Marsden is having a bad day.  Late for work, stopped by a traffic accident, then to find out that her mother is in the hospital with terminal lung cancer.  Can her day get any worse?

No comments: