Thursday, November 2, 2017

The Gal's 2017 Halloween Frivolities Day 12: Among the Stacks with Chris Kosarich


Chris Kosarich is one awesome and entertaining dude, and someone that I'm glad I have been able to meet and get to know over the years.  Having him back is definitely a pleasure.


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hey, Chris.  Welcome back to The Gal.  It's been awhile since we sat down together.  What's been going on since we last spoke?

Chris Kosarich:
Thanks for having me back!  Well, lots, actually.  Besides finishing the first draft of my sci-fi horror novel, The Ravening, I self-published my 2nd ebook short, The Last Chord, which earned a favorable review at Char's Horror Corner.  I'm editing the novel as we speak.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Who are you outside of writing?

Chris Kosarich:
I'm a 20 plus year bookseller veteran with B&N.  And married step-dad of 3 kids.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How do you feel about friends and close relatives reading your work?

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Always a tricky proposition when it comes to that, but other than my wife, I'd only trust other writer friends to give me honest, objective feedback.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is being a writer a gift or a curse?

Chris Kosarich:
Mostly a gift.  Mostly...

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How has your environment and upbringing colored your writing?

Chris Kosarich:
Well, there weren't any writers in the family, but plenty of artists and musicians, so I'm the first.  My folks were always supportive of my creative outlet, although as a kid I used to create my own comic strip and comic books.  It wasn't until I hit my 20s that they realized how serious writing was to me.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's the strangest thing you have ever had to research for your books?

Chris Kosarich:
Not sure about strange, but for The Ravening, I had to look up some stuff on diving gear, the Gulf of Mexico and the Navy fighter bombers and unexplored ordinance from WWII, etc.  Oh, and how big can a black grouper get... does that count?

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which do you find the hardest to write: the beginning, the middle, or the end?

Chris Kosarich:
Sometimes the beginning can be tough, to get that hook... but for me it's the middle, to keep the story moving forward and keeping the reader engaged.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you outline?  Do you start with characters or plot?  Do you just sit down and start writing?  What works best for you?

Chris Kosarich:
Not currently, no.  I take some notes, but what works for me is much more of an organic process.  I let the story tell itself.  Early on, in my twenties, I used to outline, but soon realized I was pretty much writing the damn thing!

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you do when characters don't follow the plan?

Chris Kosarich:
I allow my characters to do what they do, as long as it's fitting.  As long as it makes sense to who they are, or as long as it serves the story.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you do to motivate yourself to sit down and write?

Chris Kosarich:
Hah!  That's always the trick, right?  Usually when I'm not tired after a long day at work works best for me... but reading a book by a favorite author is always inspirational.  No better high than being totally absorbed telling your own story.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Are you an avid reader?

Chris Kosarich:
Very much so.  I always have at least two books going at any given time, one print book and an ebook.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What kind of books do you absolutely love to read?

Chris Kosarich:
Horror, mostly.  I do read outside the genre on occasion.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How do you feel about movies based on books?

Chris Kosarich:
Books are always better.  Nothing beats your own mind movie.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Have you ever killed a main character?

Chris Kosarich:
No, and that would kind of suck, but if it serves the story...

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you enjoy making your characters suffer?

Chris Kosarich:
Yes, if they deserve it.  But it kills me to do it to good people, which happened to a few in The Ravening.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's the weirdest character concept that you've ever come up with?

Chris Kosarich:
The recent character interview I did for The Gal, on Peter Smith, immediately comes to mind.  He was fun to write.  I suppose he's the weirdest given who and what he truly is, but there's a character called Rose in a short story (near novella length) I'd written over a year ago called "The Rose's Prick on a Bleeding Heart" who was originally featured in my first published horror short story, "Roseblood."  The new story basically is a sequel of sorts, but tells her story.  She's kind of like Poison Ivy, but more exotic.  And she fucks and kills.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's the best piece of feedback you've ever received?  What's the worst?

Chris Kosarich:
Most recently, I'd had some editing help on a short story I'd submitted to an upcoming vampire horror anthology.  Hopefully it gets accepted, but I'm very happy with the end result.  Worst would be those damned rejection letters that we've all received, but honestly I've never gotten a bad one.  They usually say they enjoyed the story, but it doesn't fit.  I rarely pay attention to online reviews.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do your fans mean to you?

Chris Kosarich:
I have fans?  Awesome!  Seriously, though, if someone takes the time to read and enjoy my work, that pleases me greatly.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
If you could steal one character from another author and make them yours, who would it be and why?

Chris Kosarich:
Easy.  Red Elk from Savage Species by Jonathan Janz.  He was funny as hell, bit of a lecherous old guy, but heroic.  Keep hoping he turns up again.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
If you could write the next book in a series, which one would it be, and what would you make the book about?

Chris Kosarich:
There will be a sequel of sorts to The Ravening, possibly more.  A prequel, if you will.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
If you could write a collaboration with another author, who would it be?

Chris Kosarich:
Oh, God... the fanboy in me would say Stephen King, but Richard Chizmar had that honor, deservedly so.  Maybe some of the newer guys that I'm a huge fan of, but definitely Edward Lee, Brian Keene, and Bryan Smith, to name a few.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Chris Kosarich:
Well, besides the novel, possibly a few more ebook shorts, and I'm itching to do a coming-of-age book, of which I may work on next.  It's an older idea I'd roughed out years ago.  There's also a story collection called The Nightmare Season (of which the above mentioned Rose story is part of) that I'd like to put out after The Ravening, but we'll see.  I also have a werewolf novel that I'd initially scrapped a few years ago that I'd like to rewrite, but as first person POV.  Love the idea, it just needs a total overhaul.  Lastly, if you've read my ebook shorts involving Tricksy and Mister Black (hint, there's a collection), I've got other story ideas for them and may do a collection called No Laughing Matter.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where can we find you?  (STaLKeR links.)

Chris Kosarich:
The usual social media sites, but my website can be found here.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any closing words for your fans or anything you'd like to say that we didn't get to cover in this interview or last?

Chris Kosarich:
Stay tuned!  Go check out my ebook shorts, Clowning Around and The Last Chord, post an honest review... and thanks a ton, Meghan, for all that you do!  The Gal is awesome!


About the author:
Chris Kosarich is an author of horror fiction, nonfiction, and some other stuff he wouldn't want his parents to read.  Previously, his short fiction appeared in various small-press publications, such as Impaler, Black Moon, Malefica, The Swamp, and Vivid.  For four years, he wrote the column "Fiendish Endeavours" for the Horror Writers Association monthly newsletter.  He self-published his first two ebook shorts, Clowning Around and The Last Chord, which can be found at the usual online sources.  Currently, he's working on a sci-fi horror novel, The Ravening.  Chris resides in Central Florida with his wife and kids, and cute but demanding cat, Maggie.

About the books:
Budding teenage horror filmmakers, Aaron and Cory Reese, get much more than they bargained for one early October evening after they set out to make a creepy clown viral video.

Matt Hayden was just eighteen when he met Mister Black during a stormy Florida summer afternoon, but what the mysterious stranger offered him changed his life forever.  Now, decades later, Matt runs into him once again... and they have unfinished business.  And what he must do to protect the woman he loves may seal his fate...









And, the upcoming The Ravening...
For a Millenia it slept...

In the Gulf of Mexico, two experienced divers unwittingly encounter an evil force beyond reckoning... and pay the ultimate price.

... and now it has Awakened...

With an early summer tropical storm bearing down on the southwestern coast of Florida, residents and guests on Bella Vista Island have no idea of the horror brought to their shores.

... and it is Ravenous!

An idyllic beach resort, and a few brave souls, including an enigmatic and mysterious figure, may be all that stands between survival and total destruction.

The Ravening has come.

No comments: