Wednesday, November 29, 2017

The Gal's 2017 Halloween Frivolities Day 39: Lyons' Character Has Spoken


Henry is the central protagonist of the Other Dangers series (Slipped Through is book one of an expected eight part series), sort of our eyes and ears in a world gone on from where we are.  He came from our world and found himself trapped in a very similar parallel reality when he went to go on a camping weekend with his wife, with whom he was on the verge of divorce due to stress and strain caused by her breakdown and his very clear antagonistic outlook.  Faced with a post-apocalyptic world and too many questions about how it came to be so, Henry is forced to experience many dangers - among them the woman who is guiding him home.


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hi, Henry.  Thanks for agreeing to talk to me today.  Now, some of my readers have yet to ready your story.  What should they know about you?

Henry:
I’m an everyday sort of guy, middle-aged (40s if you’re curious) and tired. I’m a big guy too, I got comfortable in life. Well, as comfortable as it gets anyway. I don’t really like to be told what to do or where to go but that seems to be what I have to do deal with in this story, that and a lot of crazy shit I didn’t expect to see outside of movies.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you believe in?

Henry:
Life is what happens to you, it’s a matter of what you do to change it and make things better. I learned that the hard way. Trust me, you don’t want it the hard way.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What haunts you?

Henry:
A lot of things. The things I said that I shouldn’t have, what’s going to happen to my daughter without me or her mom around, the way things change so fast, knowing that I probably fucked things up for a lot of people especially myself. Nightmares about the rain, the rain that never stops unless its too damned hot to breathe. The way she looks walking in front of me on the road, that long highway we seem to have been on forever. The ghosts, the dead, the dark when its more than the dark.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any phobias?

Henry:
Not really, I’m more compulsive than phobic.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's the worst thing that has ever happened to you?

Henry:
Rachel’s breakdown, that was the start of everything falling apart. If it hadn’t have been for that breakdown we wouldn’t have been in this mess to begin with, things would’ve been alright. We argued a lot after that, she lsot her job, April started acting out more and taking off with that boyfriend of hers that I don’t like. I don’t like change and that was the start of some big ones.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Are you lying to yourself about anything?

Henry:
Not really, I mean, not as much as a lot of people. I know I’m an ass sometimes. A guy just gets sick of things going wrong, you know? Ok, maybe I’m a little bit of a jerk and I like to think I’m not.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What was your childhood like?

Henry:
Haha, yeah, childhood. I like to stick with the here and now if you don’t mind, its more concrete and present than the past. You can’t blame the bad things on your past forever.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Were your actions the result of freedom of choice or of destiny?

Henry:
Destiny? I think? I sure as hell didn’t plan to end up someplace where the world is all upside down. Coming here when we had that crash, it changed everything completely. It was out of our hands, though I guess if we hadn’t been arguing that might have helped things a bit.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
If you could go back in time and change anything, would you?

Henry:
I’d change a lot. I’d really have to think about what all though. I know I’d do better by Rachel, she didn’t deserve a lot of what I handed to her. April either. I’d be a better man, I guess, get things right if I had another shot.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What does your name mean to you?

Henry:
Eh, it’s old, so maybe it just makes it obvious I’m pretty old school. I don’t really fit in with everyone else’s way of doing things now. I preferred being able to expect things to stay where they were meant to-not like that, not gay people and all of that- I mean the simpler stuff, marriage and the world we live in every day. I wish you could wake up and know where things were gonna be, you know?

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What scars, birthmarks, tattoos, or other identifying marks do you have?  What stories lie behind them?

Henry:
Just my body being heavy, I mean its notably so. I was never really skinny.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What was unique about the setting of your books and how did it enhance or take away from your story?

Henry:
Imagine going from a typical little Ohio suburb and having a little car crash. Imagine you wake up from that and everything’s nuts. It’s hot as balls, like a damn rainforest in the middle of Ohio, and you gotta lug your wife down the middle of what would’ve been a busy highway if you were back where you came from. Not only that, there’s things out there, out in them woods. Dead things, monsters, nothing is the same. It meant I had to learn how to protect myself and do it fast. Nothing was certain.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How do you see yourself?

Henry:
Like I said, a big guy who got comfortable and then had to get used to everything falling apart. I’m not always a great guy but I’m not always a jerk either.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How does your enemy see you?

Henry:
Lunch? Another thing in its way? Something to play with when its gets bored? Take your pick. It all depends on what it is and what it wants. Clearly, being an outsider, I’m not welcome and everything’s got some sort of bone to pick whether its lunch or getting to her while she’s vulnerable.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How does the author see you?

Henry:
Fallible, maybe the redeemable jerk. A lot is probably still up in the air. So far I’m not all bad.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Why do you think the author chose to write about your story?  Do you think they did a good job?

Henry:
She got started with her part, the woman who’s helping me and Rachel get out of here. I came later, a surprise in a book full of surprises and horror. I am both the beginning and the end of the story; it all depends on where you come into the story and when things are happening. I guess you could say it was better to tell this story from the end and go back. I make the pieces fit, help the reader to see her from the outside and understand this strange parallel world better by experience. She did alright so far, there’s still a lot of story left to tell, this being book one. 

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think about the ending?

Henry:
It’s a cliffhanger, nothing wrong with that, right?

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you think the author portrayed you accurately?  Would you change anything about the story told? Did they miss anything?

Henry:
I’m as accurate as I’m going to get. I’d tell you I wish I didn’t end up in that other place, but that should be obvious shouldn’t it? Nothing would’ve gotten sorted out or developed if I didn’t have things the way they were in the end. 

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Have you read any of your authors' other works?  Any good?

Henry:
*laughs* Do you like vampires, dead kids, gorey scenes, and character driven stuff? If so she’d be your author. If not, maybe stick to her blogs.



About the author:
A longtime fan of horror and fantasy, Ms. Lyons writes character driven novels that, while influenced by the dark and gothic, can also be heavily laced with fantasy, romance, history, and magic.  
            Amanda M. Lyons has lived her whole life in rural Ohio, where she lives with her fiancĂ© and two children.  She is the author of Wendy Won't Go: Collector's EditionEyes Like Blue FireWater Like Crimson Sorrow, and Cool Green Waters, all available from J. Ellington Ashton Press.  She is also the co-author of Feral Hearts with authors Catt DahmanMark WoodsJim GoforthEdward P. Cardillo, and Michael Fisher and a contributing author to the extreme horror anthologies Rejected for Content: SplattergoreRejected for Content 2: Aberrant MenagerieRejected for Content 3: Violent Vengeance, and several others.


About the book:
Henry is a man with trouble on his hands.  Setting up for this weekend getaway wasn't even his idea and now he's woken up from a terrible car crash to find himself in a strange place where nothing is as it seems.  Now his whole life has changed and nothing he knew to be true seems to matter, not when the world is filled with horror and still other dangers waiting in the shadows.  Worse, his wife is hurt and there's only one woman who can help them get home, a woman who is more mystery than truth and holds the road map to a world without rules... a map which comes in the form of a book hidden in the depths of the backpack in her possession.  A book that calls his name and the woman shows him she would do anything to keep out of anyone else's hands.



No comments: