Wednesday, November 15, 2017

The Gal's 2017 Halloween Frivolities Day 25: Among the Stacks with James Wallace


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hey, James.  Welcome to The Gal!!  I'm so excited about you being able to join us today.  Tell us a little bit about yourself.

James Wallace:
I hail from an empty void in space, in an area you call Andromeda. I became sentient and aware of myself as I floated through the cold, empty, vacuum, of space. Now I reside on the west coast of this wonderful country we call United States of America. I suffered a work injury about three years ago and took up writing to pass the time between Doctor and Therapy sessions. I had always wanted to write since I was kid, but never had the balls to try till my best friend Tanay kicked me in the butt and motivated me. 

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are five things most people don't know about you?

James Wallace:
Five things are so hard to list. I am an open book (Bad pun I know) I was born with an extra thumb on my right hand, had it removed when I was 5. I can go from full blown emotional to utterly emotionless jerk in like 2 seconds. I hear my Characters talk to me, seriously I do. I am in love with Ricky Fleet and his manly British accent. So that was 4…

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading?

James Wallace:

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are you reading now?

James Wallace:
No time to read unless it is research. I mainly do audibles when I jog or walk my 6 to 8 miles every night. (Monster Hunter International is my current audio!)

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's a book you really enjoyed that others wouldn't expect you to have liked?

James Wallace:

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide you want to write?  When did you begin writing?

James Wallace:
Started writing two years ago. My friend Tanay kicked my ass and made me do it.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place to write?

James Wallace:
1st Street Coffee in Gilroy, California. This is my Writing Coffee CafĂ© Cave.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

James Wallace:
Tons of caffeine and some sort of music pumping through my ear holes.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

James Wallace:
Editing!!!!!!! God, I hate editing. Yet it is the most important thing about writing.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's the most satisfying thing you've written so far?

James Wallace:
JINXX!!! This is a personal book for me. I wrote her for my best friend Taunya.. Thus the name of the main character. Disabled women are powerful and beautiful and full of potential and Iron Will.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What books have most inspired you?  Who are some authors that have inspired your writing style?

James Wallace:
Clive Cussler is my hero! MY STYLE IS ALL MY OWN. I try very hard not to mirror other’s styles. I want to be all me.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

James Wallace:
Character development. I force my characters to banter and try very hard to flesh them out. If you don’t love the characters, you cannot love the story. IMHO. 

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What does it take for you to love a character?  How do you utilize that when creating your characters?

James Wallace:
I make them human. I want them to have faults, to question their ethics and morals. I want them to feel love and pain equally.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which, of all your characters, do you think is the most like you?

James Wallace:
In a way, Dan Welko from my Theorem series. We are both reluctant to be leaders, but when called upon, we shake off the feelings of inadequacies and step up. 

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Are you turned off by a bad cover?  To what degree were you involved in creating your book covers?

James Wallace:
The book cover is like a first impression and you lie or die by them. I am blessed to have Chase, my cover and tattoo artist. I give him very little direction and he goes and creates masterpieces.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What have you learned creating your books?

James Wallace:
That I have a lot of issues in my head that I can solve while writing instead of expensive therapists. 

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What has been the hardest scene for you to write so far?

James Wallace:
Killing a certain character in the end of Zombie Theorem Two. I cried like a little girl.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your books different from others out there in this genre?

James Wallace:
There are only so much story and action you can write, my stories center around my characters which I believe are the difference from others books.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How important is the book title, how hard is it to choose the best one, and how did you choose yours (of course, with no spoilers)?

James Wallace:
The Book title is almost as important as the cover. I had to fight with myself for weeks over my first title. But I think it turned out extremely right. I have taken the Theorem title and ran with it, adapting it to work in all my genres and stories. 

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes you feel more fulfilled: Writing a novel or writing a short story?

James Wallace:
I don’t like short stories. They are too hard to write for me. Not enough wordage to flesh out the character and story for me. Others have mastered it and I love those stories. But I can’t do them.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Tell us a little bit about your books, your target audience, and what you would like readers to take away from your stories.

James Wallace:
I want my readers to be entertained. I am not trying to preach to them or knock them in the head with a certain message. I just want them to put the book down after reading it and take a deep breath to steady themselves from the rush.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Can you tell us about some of the deleted scenes/stuff that got left out of your work?

James Wallace:
Not much gets deleted or rewritten. I like to write on “Automatic” or as some have called it “Pantsing.” I do not plan stories out or think them through I just write. So most of it goes into the book.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

James Wallace:
More Dan and Company in the Theorem Series. I want to let my characters to live through alternate realities and multiple lives. I am also working on Jinxx’s sequel and a Western.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where can we find you?  (STaLKeR links.)

James Wallace:

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any closing words for your fans or anything you'd like to say that we didn't get to cover in this interview?

James Wallace:
Thank you for reading my words and living my stories with me. I promise to keep you entertained, but I also promise I will stay true to my characters and beliefs. You keep reading and I will keep writing.


About the author:
James, AKA JR.  He enjoys holding hands, long walks on the beach, mayhem, chaos, and magical coffee.  He has two awesome kids that he loves more than anything in this world or the next.  He has had many careers, holds an AA in Psychology, and is a maniac for music lyrics.  James lives on the west coast, but you never know where he will end up next, heck he even has no idea.  He has a wandering spirit and an open mind.

About the books:
Taunya's life has been predestined since the beginning of time as well as every first-born daughter in her lineage.  She is the vessel entrusted with Mankind's Greatest Champion, Jinxx.  Together they must fight back an army of demons and keep the balance of Good and Evil.  That is if Taunya and Jinxx can survive each other.  Will they find their balance or will Evil conquer mankind?

Dan, a middle manager working in San Francisco, is thrust into a fight for his life.  He must overcome who he is and learn to fight for his life and lead those around him.  While surviving, he finds the real reason for the Zombie outbreak and is pulled into a whole new fight.  This time against a shadowy power calling themselves the Culling Initiative. 

Dan survived the flu and Zombies in the Trans America Tower.  Escaped the Zombie hordes in San Francisco, with help from his new friends in the SFPD SWAT team and on his way out rescued a mysterious little girl named Angel.  Dan is an emerging hero, who helped discover the plans of the Culling Initiative and their mercenary army, the Ridder Group.  Now he must rescue his ex-girlfriend Julie, and his friend Vic's wife from numerous hordes of the dead.  He must learn and adapt to find new ways to destroy the Zombies and protect his family and friends.  Standing in his way to getting home to his dad's ranch north of Spokane he will have to overcome the dead and become the leader everyone needs him to be.  Questions will be asked about the Culling Initiative and some answers will be discovered while more questions are asked.

Dan has rescued Julie and has been reunited with his dad, but in the end he lost so much more.  After waking in a military hospital, he learns of his injuries and the loss of his little Angel.  His body and faith will be tested.  Will he ever be free of the scourge and have a normal life again?  Will he be able to rally his troops and find a possible cure?  With his best friend Brian by his side and his SWAT family standing squarely behind him, he will become the leader that he never knew he could become.

The world fell apart while Lieutenant Chun and his men trained for a mission in the Nevada desert.  They must fight their way across two sates and rescue their brother Seals from the zombie hordes crawling all over Coronado Airbase. They need to pick a side in the battle between General Richards and the Culling Initiative.  Will they pick the right side or fall into the corrupt trap?

No comments: