Saturday, November 18, 2017

The Gal's 2017 Halloween Frivolities Day 28: Jefferson's Character Has Spoken


In a flash of electric blue light, the air splits.  A layer of the landscape peels back, outlined by the light, revealing a black mist beyond.  What appears to be a small boy steps through the opening.  He turns back to the rent in the air and, with a twist of his hand, it zips closed.
            After he dusts himself off, he moves further into the light of the room and flops into the recliner.  A quick pull on the lever and the chair falls back, his bowler hat dips over his eyes.  A heavy sigh escapes him before he finally tips the hat from his head.
            The touch of grey at his temples belies the cherubic youth in his eyes.  "What shall we talk about today?"


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hi, Tisdan.  Thanks for sitting down with me today.  I usually start off my interviews by asking the person to tell us a little bit about themselves, but your entrance says it all.  What do you believe in?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
“Belief is a funny word. There was a time I believed I wanted another beer. The best were in Arnessa's. Brewed right there in the pub (the best ones are). She knew her way around a mash tun. Simpler times then…”

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What haunts you?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
“You've never run across the wolfen I take it. I have nightmares. The things the shapers have done to all manner of creatures. It isn't pretty. But I dare say that those were childish fears. Since I first ran into them I have seen all manner of things that could make your toenails curl. But that is a tale for a different time. Maybe over a beer we could discuss some things…”

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any phobias?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
He flips a coin across the back of the knuckles of his right hand. The coin twists and turns with a mind of its own as he stares through the room's only window. "It's been some time since I've been afraid. I mean really afraid. There was a time when I didn't know where my next meal was coming. A pilfered apple in the market, sure it could fill your belly but it doesn't have the same flair as a coffee in Donovan's."

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's the worst thing that has ever happened to you?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
He pulls back his shirt sleeve. A blackened scar covers the back of his arm. "I don't know if it was the worst, but it hurt like hell."

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Are you lying to yourself about anything?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
His chuckle, soft, supple, a twist in the air. His attention shifts back to the coin as it flips around his hand for a moment. Darkness clouds his face. "We all lie to ourselves. If it isn't one thing, it’s always another."

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What was your childhood like?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
“Some of us don't have the luxury of childhood. I always heard that was something that shaper's kids got. Nah, me, I grew up hustlin'. I learned quick. Fast hands and quick thoughts bought your breakfast in lowtown.”

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Were your actions the result of freedom of choice or of destiny?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
“What's the difference? Even destiny is a choice. All you gotta do is take it and throw it against the wall, right? If you're lucky it doesn't bite you in the ass.”

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
If you could go back in time and change anything, would you?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
“That's the thing, isn't it? I've gone back in time. More times than I like to count now. The past is the past and there isn't much to be done about it. Living in it doesn't bring about much happiness anyway.” 

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What does your name mean to you?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
“I used to like to think my name was an old family name. You know what I mean, right? Like I might have had some pedigree or somethin'. Really all it is, I earned it. I fought for my name with every bastage that thought they could take my spot.”

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What scars, birthmarks, tattoos, or other identifying marks do you have?  What stories lie behind them?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
“You saw my arm. What more do you want from me? What, like should I stand here and uncover every nook and cranny for you. What are you? Some kinda creeper? I know a few places you can go to for a show if that's the kind of thing your into. But, I'm not gonna judge you. Nah, I don't have the patience for anything like that.”

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What was unique about the setting of your books and how did it enhance or take away from your story?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
“What exactly do you mean by books? Like adventure stories? Or romances? I haven't had much time for reading. Not much time at all. I like to think I am more of a doer, old habits and all. Spending too much time sitting still gets you flattened when the trains are coming.” 

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How do you see yourself?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
“Usually with a mirror…”

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How does your enemy see you?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
“I imagine with their eyes. Kinda like I am seeing you right now. My eyes work, don't let the spectacles fool you. I wear 'em mostly for show anyway.”

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How does the author see you?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
I don't think I understand this question. What do you mean by author? Is that like a shaper? One of them that manipulates the aether through crystals? I wonder if maybe we are speaking two different languages…”

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Why do you think the author chose to write about your story?  Do you think they did a good job?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
“I'm still a bit confused here. The only thing I know about my "story" is the life I have lived. No one wrote any of that. It's my life and only one person knows it like I do. Where did you find these strange words and thoughts you keep using?”

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think about the ending?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
“What ending? I haven't found the ending yet. I'm still out there, exploring new lands and all that. When you understand the mysteries of the aether, there isn't much holding you back. I know what you're thinking though, shaper magic isn't something to trifle with. I got no truck with it. The stuff I've seen is something else. There are some stories I could tell you…”

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you think the author portrayed you accurately?  Would you change anything about the story told? Did they miss anything?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
“You're weird. Aint no one portrayed me but me. I'm my own person. Always have been, always will be. I learned my lessons and I've grown. I know things now I never would have imagined a while back.”

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Have you read any of your authors' other works?  Any good?

Tisdan Thinkledor:
“Who has time for nonsense. I have my own worlds to explore. There are things connected through the aether that I have only begun to understand.”




About the author:
Jon M. Jefferson writes Speculative fiction with forays into Noir and Bizarro.  His stories have appeared in the 2013 Indies Unlimited Flash Fiction Anthology, and the foil and Phazer Divide and Conquer Anthology.  His work can also be found on Amazon and Smashwords.
            A longtime fan of Science Fiction and Fantasy stories in all their forms.  He has spent most of his life looking for magic in the everyday moments of life.  He hails from the tundra of Southwest Michigan.  The monsters in his life include his wife, two daughters, and a granddaughter.


About the book:
In an age of steam, the world is divided by the power of aether and the shapers who can pull power from crystals.  Little magics define the course of lives for those who can use them and those who can not.
            Tisdan Thinkledor, a thief from lowdown has never thought of the politics or games played by those in power.  His days have been planned from the next purse he can cut to the next mark to be tagged.  A life led from station to station along the path of the trains that connect the lives within the city.
            Sometimes, it is the little things that change the world around you.  A matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, can change the future.


No comments: