Thursday, November 2, 2017

The Gal's 2017 Halloween Frivolities Day 12: Kosarich's Character Has Spoken


Peter Smith, age 42, but appears much younger, is a Collective agent, tasked with destroying a deadly alien organism from spreading after it was accidentally released deep in the Gulf of Mexico.  The Collective is a shadowy covert organization that very few know about.  They operate globally, but mostly reside in the United States, especially the warmer climes.  Their sworn enemy is UMBRA, a US military black ops group specializing in dealing with alien threats like the Collective.  And yes, the Collective are alien/human hybrids.


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hi, Peter.  Thanks for taking the time to sit down with me today.  Some of my readers have yet to read your story.  What should they know about you?

Peter Smith:
Most have no idea about my real life, my secret life, and that's intentional.  I have no real friends, other than coworkers at the BP gas station that I work at, and I'm mostly fine with that.  I'm dedicated to the Collective, with whom I've sworn my life to.  You could say I was born into it.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you believe in?

Peter Smith:
Being a loyal and hardworking operative for the Collective.  That is all.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What haunts you?

Peter Smith:
Something happened to me on an assignment a few years ago.  It involved a member of the Resistance.
            I'd rather not disclose anything more... if I did, I'd have to kill you.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any phobias?

Peter Smith:
Not really.  I suppose failing my superiors, especially my boss, Joseph.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's the worst thing that has ever happened to you?

Peter Smith:
See my answer to question 3.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Are you lying to yourself about anything?

Peter Smith:
Hmmmmm.  Perhaps.  See my answer to Question 5.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What was your childhood like?

Peter Smith:
Not like most everyone, as I was raised in a Collective orphanage and started my indoctrination and training very young.  I never knew my parents, but we in the Collective don't view parenting or child-rearing as necessary to our cause.  I've taken part numerous times in scheduled procreation sessions with selected female Collective members.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Were your actions the result of freedom of choice or of destiny?

Peter Smith:
I live to serve the Collective and to save this world from its native inhabitants.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
If you could go back in time and change anything, would you?

Peter Smith:
This is almost like my quarterly wellness session with a Collective agent.  As to your query, I would say no.  Perhaps the answer to the What Haunts You question.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What does your name mean to you?

Peter Smith:
Not as cool as my fictional film hero, James Bond, my name is utilitarian.  It is what it is.  We are given names shortly after indoctrination, and the names are specifically chosen to be ordinary.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What scars, birthmarks, tattoos, or other identifying marks do you have?  What stories lie behind them?

Peter Smith:
None.  My skin, while pale like milk, doesn't have any of those things, nor would I.  We in the Collective blend in, so things like tattoos or body piercings are forbidden.  I have no scars, at least in the beginning of The Ravening.  We tend to heal quickly.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What was unique about the setting of your books?

Peter Smith:
I live and work in Orlando, Florida, but do occasionally travel throughout the state for my service to the Collective.  My current assignment takes me to the southwestern coast of Florida, to an island aptly named Bella Vista.  I'm not much of a beach person, although I love to swim.  Mostly because of my skin tone, which I can mask with spray tan, I rarely expose myself to the general public in swim trunks.  Having said that, I do sneak in early morning, or late night swims, at my apartment complex pool.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How do you see yourself?

Peter Smith:
I believe my answer to Question 2 summed this up, but I think I'm generally a good agent, performing tasks assigned to me by the Collective to the best of my ability.  My boss and coworkers at the BP like me because I'm punctual, hardworking, and never call ins ick, and can fill in at a moment's notice.  Never had a customer complaint.  I know they think I'm a bit strange, or eccentric maybe, but they never pry too much into my private life.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How does your enemy see you?

Peter Smith:
Cold, deadly, and ruthlessly efficient.  Or maybe how SPECTRE agents viewed 007.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Why do you think the author chose to write about your story?  Do you think they did a good job?

Peter Smith:
Mostly, he did an effective job portraying me.  Maybe I could've looked less like a British boy band member and a bit more ruggedly handsome and suave like Sean Connery, but oh well.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think about the ending?

Peter Smith:
Interesting.  Not what I expected, to be honest, but I'm not disappointed either.  I can't say more than that.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you think the author portrayed you accurately?  Would you change anything about the story told? Did they miss anything?

Peter Smith:
I think I answered most of this in Question 15, along with my previous answer, but I was a bit disappointed in how my immediate superior, Joseph, ended up.  That's a shame, really.  He trained me, after all.  As for missing anything, not so much.  Well, I do miss Kyle and Kelly, who more or less ran the Bella Vista Island Resort, and who helped me stop the deadly alien contagion known as The Ravening.  That psychic author lady, Carol, helped, too, but she didn't like me very much.  And then there was the UMBRA commando, Frost, who initially wanted to kill me.  But we're kind of friends now, thanks to William.  Who's William, you ask?  He's a Collective resistance member, or Rogue, but you'll have to read the novel to find out the rest.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Have you read any other books? 

Peter Smith:
Until recently, I wasn't much of a pleasure reader.  But since my situation has changed, you could say, I've had a lot of free time.  William lent me a collection of James Bond novels by Ian Fleming, and I'm enjoying the book, although they are different from the movies.


About the author:

Chris Kosarich is an author of horror fiction, nonfiction, and some other stuff he wouldn't want his parents to read.  Previously, his short fiction appeared in various small-press publications, such as Impaler, Black Moon, Malefica, The Swamp, and Vivid.  For four years, he wrote the column "Fiendish Endeavours" for the Horror Writers Association monthly newsletter.  He self-published his first two ebook shorts, Clowning Around and The Last Chord, which can be found at the usual online sources.  Currently, he's working on a sci-fi horror novel, The Ravening.  Chris resides in Central Florida with his wife and kids, and cute but demanding cat, Maggie.

 

About the books:

Budding teenage horror filmmakers, Aaron and Cory Reese, get much more than they bargained for one early October evening after they set out to make a creepy clown viral video.


Matt Hayden was just eighteen when he met Mister Black during a stormy Florida summer afternoon, but what the mysterious stranger offered him changed his life forever.  Now, decades later, Matt runs into him once again... and they have unfinished business.  And what he must do to protect the woman he loves may seal his fate...

And, the upcoming The Ravening...
For a Millenia it slept...

In the Gulf of Mexico, two experienced divers unwittingly encounter an evil force beyond reckoning... and pay the ultimate price.

... and now it has Awakened...

With an early summer tropical storm bearing down on the southwestern coast of Florida, residents and guests on Bella Vista Island have no idea of the horror brought to their shores.

... and it is Ravenous!

An idyllic beach resort, and a few brave souls, including an enigmatic and mysterious figure, may be all that stands between survival and total destruction.

The Ravening has come.

No comments: