Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The Gal's 2017 Halloween Frivolities Day 18: Among the Stacks with Tim Majka


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hey, Tim.  Welcome to The Gal.  Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Tim Majka:
You're going to post my bio I'm sure, and you can find out all about me there.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are five things most people don't know about you?

Tim Majka:
I have a collection of 7000 comic books, I am legally blind in my left eye, I play NCAA Football 2014 more than I should, I love to sing in the car (and I can't sing), and I enjoy most of the classic musicals.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading?

Tim Majka:

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are you reading now?

Tim Majka:

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's a book you really enjoyed that others wouldn't expect you to have liked?

Tim Majka:

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide you want to write?  When did you begin writing?

Tim Majka:
Always wanted to, finally decided to stop thinking about it and actually do it.
            First wrote and illustrated my own comic book at the age of 6.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

Tim Majka:
In my office at home.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Tim Majka:
I need to have a rough outline before I can start.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

Tim Majka:
Getting over the fact that my first drafts are always trouble.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's the most satisfying thing you've written so far?

Tim Majka:
My debut novel, Prey.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What books have most inspired you?  Who are some authors that have inspired your writing style?

Tim Majka:
Everything by Jonathan Maberry and Michael Harvey.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

Tim Majka:
Pacing.  Making the reader want to turn the page.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What does it take for you to love a character?  How do you utilize that when creating your characters?

Tim Majka:
Once I find their 'voice' they are mine
            Great fleshed out characters can help push a story along.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which, of all your characters, do you think is the most like you?

Tim Majka:
Eric Archer has a lot of me in him.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Are you turned off by a bad cover?  To what degree were you involved in creating your book covers?

Tim Majka:
I sent my publisher, Devil Dog Press, a rough sketch and description of what I wanted for the cover and the cover artist knocked it out of the park.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What have you learned creating your books?

Tim Majka:
That writing is DAMN hard work.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What has been the hardest scene for you to write so far?

Tim Majka:
A torture scene.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your books different from others out there in this genre?

Tim Majka:
I'm not sure about different, but it is a fast, fun read that makes you think just enough to have a good time with it.  I like to think of it as a book version of a summer blockbuster.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How important is the book title, how hard is it to choose the best one, and how did you choose yours (of course, with no spoilers)?

Tim Majka:
I have only had to title one book, and it was with me from the start.  I'll have to let you know with book two.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes you feel more fulfilled: Writing a novel or writing a short story?

Tim Majka:
I have never written a short story before.  But completing my novel and holding it in my hands after such a long process was exhilarating.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Tell us a little bit about yourself about your books, your target audience, and what you would like readers to take away from your stories.

Tim Majka:
I am going to refer you to question 18 (What makes your book different from others out there in this genre?)/  As for takeaway, I want my readers to put the book down and have to take a breath and say 'WOW.'  Then clamor for the next one.  

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Can you tell us about some of the deleted scenes/stuff that got left out of your work?

Tim Majka:
There wasn't anything that made it to the cutting room floor with my book.  As I work with the amazing Rob M. Miller during the editing process, we pulled more out of my book than I knew was there.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's in your "trunk"?

Tim Majka:
I have an idea for a series of novels I would also like to see as a comic book series.  I have about 12 pages of the first issue written and pull it out once in a while and work on it.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Tim Majka:
I am writing book two of my Blood of the Ancients series, which will be a trilogy.  After that, I hope to start on a sci-fi/suspense series called State of Emergency.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where can we find you?

Tim Majka:
Anyone can find me on Twitter, Facebook, or Goodreads.  Just search my name.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any closing words for your fans or anything you'd like to say that we didn't get to cover in this interview?

Tim Majka:
Read, read, and read some more!  Get as many young people into reading as you can.  It will benefit them so much in life.  And, as always, be kind to each other.


About the author:
Tim A. Majka teaches high school social studies along the shores of Lake Erie, in his hometown of Dunkirk, NY.  He resides there with his best friend and bride, Bridget, their college-age sons, Jacob and Alex, and two rescue cats, Stanley and Corky.

About the book:
The Other Side Has Broken Through

Following the mysterious death of his parents, Detective Eric Archer goes home to the idyllic Western New York town of Chadwick Bay.  There, he joins old colleagues and making new acquaintances in Jessica Benitez, Eliseo Gomez, and the enigmatic Dr. William Dirk.
            They uncover decades-old family secrets that shakes the foundation of their reality.
            Alliances are formed, friends become foes.
            An ancient entity's plan to enslave the people of Earth is about to be unleashed.  With the fate of humanity at risk, Eric Archer and his friends must race to unravel the mystery of how to defeat a God-king.

No comments: