Friday, November 24, 2017

The Gal's 2017 Halloween Frivolities Day 34: Manochio's Character Has Spoken


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Welcome to The Gal.  Some of my readers have yet to read your story.  What should they know about you?

The Highwayman:
As little as possible. I’m the bad guy, or am I?

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you believe in?

The Highwayman:
That life sucks and child predators outnumber police officers 1,000 to 1. That’s not an actual statistic—that’s just what it feels like.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What haunts you?

The Highwayman:
Being raped by a man. I’m a man, by the way.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any phobias?

The Highwayman:
See the question above, and take a wild guess.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's the worst thing that has ever happened to you?

The Highwayman:
See questions 3. and 4. And the last thing you want to hear are the details. Bleeding was involved.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Are you lying to yourself about anything?

The Highwayman:
When you do what I do, you lie all the time, and the worst thing you can do is believe yourself.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What was your childhood like?

The Highwayman:
It was good up to the point where I was raped by a man, when I was a boy. Just a little boy.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Were your actions the result of freedom of choice or of destiny?

The Highwayman:
Both.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
If you could go back in time and change anything, would you?

The Highwayman:
Yes, I would go back in time and not get raped by a man when I was a child. But I can’t do that. I just have to live with it, know there are bad days, and days that are not so bad. But there are never any good days. Never.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What does your name mean to you?

The Highwayman:
My nickname? I didn’t come up with it.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What scars, birthmarks, tattoos, or other identifying marks do you have?  What stories lie behind them?

The Highwayman:
Nothing visible. But when I was a young man I was lifting weights and tried lifting too much, and ruined my back in the process. So much for me entering the police academy and attempting to do what I always dreamed of doing.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What was unique about the setting of your book and how did it enhance or take away from your story?

The Highwayman:
There’s nothing really unique about New Jersey.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How do you see yourself?

Matt Manochio:
Alone.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How does your enemy see you?

Matt Manochio:
They don't.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How does the author see you?

Matt Manochio:
As a figment of his imagination.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Why do you think the author chose to write about your story?  Do you think he did a good job?

Matt Manochio:
He didn’t know he was going to write about me until he really got going in his book. He didn’t outline me. I just came along and developed as he went. I hope he did a good job.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think about the ending?

Matt Manochio:
I can’t say much about it, obviously!

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you think the author portrayed you accurately?  Would you change anything about the story told? Did he miss anything?

Matt Manochio:
He portrayed me just fine. And if he missed anything, he’d have gone back and fixed it because he must’ve read the book a 10 times looking for errors. Good lord, I hope he didn’t miss anything.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Have you read any of your authors' other works?  Any good?

Matt Manochio:
His first published novel, The Dark Servant, is about Krampus, and it’s a fun mix of horror and humor. And it’s backed by 4 New York Times bestselling authors, and 4 Bram Stoker Award winners. And Krampus makes an appearance in the author’s novella, Twelfth Krampus Night. The author really likes Krampus.


About the author:
Matt Manochio lives in New Jersey with his son.  His previous novels are Sentinels and The Dark Servant, and a novella, Twelfth Krampus Night.


About the book:
A murdered child predator surfaces in a New Jersey bog.  Authorities in Pennsylvania and Ohio find more dead deviants days later as a vigilante weaves a trail of orchestrated slaughter through states along Route 80 to California.

            FBI Special Agents Patti Moreland and Nick Redmond track Internet predators in Chicago.  After a failed attempt at Redmond's line, the FBI thinks one of his past collars pulled the trigger, but Moreland, a child-abuse survivor, believes otherwise.  The young agent hacks his laptop and decrypts a sexually charged chat transcript between Redmond and a teenage girl logged hours before his shooting.  Moreland learns of the murders in other states and sees a connection to her partner.  She can't fathom Redmond being like one of the men who scarred her life, and knows of only one way to disprove it: find the killer.

No comments: